Wednesday, April 24, 2013

the Days that are the Nights

I have seen the days that are the nights,
So bare and dry and stealthy,
Grabbing at the times before
When the open closes up;
Glare of lonely
Eyes on afternoons watch out
Before I come to catch.


I follow the dark out of the corners
Asphalt black clouds
Extending away from the heart
Veins of smoke and
Poison powder drop
As the door slams and light runs away.


I wish I could run with light
Leaving lonely place and time,
Holding on to letting go
Visiting where the blue runs free
Seeing the world in
Its glorious days of clarity.


I know my job must be done
Though effortless it is not
The night is my waitress,
the shadows my kitchen, and
The chef I become.
In the dark of day with sun
Burning like fires in memory
I walk and talk and despair


I whisper into broken hearts
I break them twice in two
I chase away good dreams and
Let my own loose to pursue
Tired eyes not my own
shaken awake no more asleep
In minds of cornered shock.


I have seen the nights that are the days
So full and clear and free,
In which I wish I could join
And give what is not given
Glare of wondering
Easy breezes on afternoons
Where I will not catch.



5 comments:

  1. You are a great writer. I like how you included the asphalt black clouds. It made it very interesting. I like the catching part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like, a professional poetry writer! I mean it must be amazing since I don't fully understand it, and I usually don't understand poetry. So great job Kate! I like the imagery a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poem I could see what was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stanza with the kitchen metaphors. Great rhythm in the words the days that are the nights. Could be a great song lyric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the poem ☻ great imagery ☼

    ReplyDelete